Re: Hello from Mozilla

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:47:27 +0800

2009/7/16 Ian Hickson <ian_at_hixie.ch>:

>> Right down to the HTTP/1.1 reserved protocol label (do get that changed
>> please).
>
> If we're faking HTTP, then it has to look like HTTP.

The message here is "don't fake HTTP". "Speak HTTP over port 80".

> I'm getting very mixed messages here.
>
> Is there a reliable way to open a bidirectional non-HTTP TCP/IP connection
> through a Squid man-in-the-middle proxy over port 80 to a remote server
> that normally acts like an HTTP server? If so, what is the sequence of
> bytes that will act in this way?

That is the wrong question. The whole point of speaking HTTP on port
80 is to be able to speak a variety of sequence of bytes, all which
match the HTTP protocol specification, in order to get the job done.

At the point you're speaking on port TCP/80, you're not just speaking
a sequence of bytes any more. You're speaking HTTP. There are plenty
of sequences of bytes that can occur that are -semantically
identical-.

Adrian