Re: Hello from Mozilla

From: Robert Collins <robertc_at_robertcollins.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:00:40 +1000

On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 23:48 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Surely once the HTTP server has decided that it can Upgrade, it
> doesn't
> actually need to worry about sending back something HTTP-valid at
> all,
> since we can just say the entire connection was always using the
> WebSocket
> protocol, and was never HTTP.

10.1.2 101 Switching Protocols

   The server understands and is willing to comply with the client's
   request, via the Upgrade message header field (section 14.42), for a
   change in the application protocol being used on this connection. The
   server will switch protocols to those defined by the response's
   Upgrade header field immediately after the empty line which
   terminates the 101 response.

So the server has to send a response before switching. This is because
if it doesn't, how can it say 'I won't upgrade'.

-Rob