Re: squid-2 - vary and x-accelerator-vary differences?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 21:47:42 +0200

ons 2009-08-05 klockan 01:01 +0800 skrev Adrian Chadd:
> G'day,
>
> I just noticed in src/HttpReply.c that the vary expire option
> (Config.onoff.vary_ignore_expire) is checked if the reply has HDR_VARY
> set but it does not check if HDR_X_ACCELERATOR_VARY is set.
>
> Everywhere else in the code checks them both consistently and
> assembles "Vary" header contents consistently from both.
>
> Is this an oversight/bug? Is it intentional behaviour?

Well, intentional or not, if you are knowledgeable to the level that you
can emit an X-Accelerator-Vary header then I would expect you to also
know about caching and how to use Cache-Control for desired freshness
control.

This option is a bit of a special case, to deal with certain at the time
common servers who sends Vary, Expires: <now>, proper Last-Modified but
NO cache-control. Looking at the code the major bug there is that it
does not verify that there is a Last-Modified when enabling this path.
It's not really intended for the X-Accelerator-Vary case, but if you
want it extended in that direction sure go ahead, it won't hurt anyone.