Re: Language subtags (aliases)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 16:27:02 +1200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> ons 2009-08-05 klockan 21:54 +1200 skrev Amos Jeffries:
>
>> Right now it's to improve the performance of the negotiation, each
>> detected but failed language requires disk IO.
>
> Right. it is reading the error page from disk each time. Forgot that
> little detail..
>
>> When sub-tag negotiation is reliably doable we can reduce the aliases to
>> just the weird exceptions.
>
> Or symlink them, except that symlinks do not work on Windows...

Huh? I think you misunderstand what these alias lists do.
They are the seed maps for make install to generate such symlinks from.

The upgrade from this will be to follow the RFC recommendation of
silently assuming xx-yy and xx-zzz-yy maps to xx, and falling back to
the first available such map if no more specifics exist in the entire
string.

The nl, pt and zh cases are the only ones we have so far that require
the alias solution long-term. "Accept-Languages: pt-pt,pt-br" should not
have pt-br provided by default when pt is present for example. The zh-*
family is worst-case.

>> I know. And when browsers really start using this widely we will _need_
>> the sub-tag negotiation. For now its not appearing to be that common.
>
> We have already seen the evolution from just language to language +
> region.

Yes, I don't doubt its coming eventually.

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.13