Re: Is there any documentation on Internal architecture of SQUID ??

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 10:15:49 +1200

Sachin Malave wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I am trying to port squid on multicore architecture, is it an wise
> idea ? is it feasible ?

The Squid developers have already been working towards it for several
years. With another few to go before it's a reality. Any help at all you
can provide would be very welcome.

Please write to the squid-dev mailing list (cc'd) about what your
particular plans and ideas are, or if you want to assist pushing one of
the following planned tasks further:

First task is that the code needs to be modularized into task-units:
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SourceLayout

then the Async infrastructure needs to be extended to remove all the
remaining callback bits and make each of the task-unit modules/libraries
into jobs
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/NativeAsyncCalls

then we need to look at removing more static locals, goto's, asserts,
and such cruft so each can run without others interference.

Out of which appears something with limited SMP capability as the
ordered sub-components operate async and can be threaded.
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale

Then to make it SMP on a grand scale storage, configuration, and
forwarding code re-worked so they won't block or halt Squid under SMP
threaded operations:
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/NoCentralStoreIndex
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/HotConf
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/ClientSideCleanup

Lots to do, some easy, some required to make the rest easier. All
coordinated through the squid-dev mailing list.

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.13