Re: New dev account please

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:45:01 +1200

iamfromit wrote:

> Hey!
>
> I'd like to join the squid project and contribute some time/energy to
> working on outstanding issues, mainly with ICAP support. I'm no
> expert programmer, but I'm motivated and this is interesting to me, so
> I'll be working with other devs on the project to make sure I'm up to
> standards and expectations.
>
> I work for a major international insurance company and use several web
> proxy products and ICAP implementations daily, and spend a lot of time
> troubleshooting them since they don't all play nicely with ICAP RFC. I
> think I have a great handle on ICAP as a protocol, and would like to
> apply this experience back to the OS community where possible. I'm
> sure I'll learn and find other areas that I am capable of contributing
> to as well.
>
> My sourceforge id is iamfromit
>
> Thanks,need
>
> Jonathan Miller
> iamfromit_at_gmail.com

Welcome Jonathan,

   The devel site is a bit out of date there sorry. Squid-3 uses Bazaar
(bzr) as its VCS so sourceforge is mostly used for Squid-2 stuff.

The new(er) developer guidelines are at:
   here:http://wiki.squid-cache.org/DeveloperResources

Details on how to setup bzr and a local working environment are at:
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Squid3VCS

The coding guidelines are at:
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Squid3CodingGuidelines

For ICAP Alex is the resident expert/mentor/coordinator. He is a bit
busy at present so may not be readily available, but grab a copy of the
code anyways and see if you can understand how the relevant bits work.

Feel free to jump on anything you see happening wrong. Just remember to
mention anything that might take longer that a day to fix, so we don't
have people doubling up on work. Reconciling differences in approach and
style can be annoying for all involved.

Whenever you have something ready for submission, or even if you just
want opinions post a patch or merge bundle here to squid-dev mailing list.

For stuff to practice on there is a list of general tasks anyone can do
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/RoadMap/Tasks though none of them approach
the ICAP area yet.

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.13