Why does Squid-2 return HTTP_PROXY_AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED on http_access DENY?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:22:47 +1000

G'day. This question is aimed mostly at Henrik, who I recall replying
to a similar question years ago but without explaining why.

Why does Squid-2 return HTTP_PROXY_AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED on a denied ACL?

The particular bit in src/client_side.c:

int require_auth = (answer == ACCESS_REQ_PROXY_AUTH ||
aclIsProxyAuth(AclMatchedName)) && !http->request->flags.transparent;

Is there any particular reason why auth is tried again? it forces a
pop-up on browsers that already have done authentication via NTLM.

I've written a patch to fix this in Squid-2.7:

http://www.creative.net.au/diffs/2009-09-15-squid-2.7-auth_required_on_auth_acl_deny.diff

I'll create a bugtraq entry when I have some more background
information about this.

Thanks,

adrian