Re: squid-smp

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 17:10:20 +0800

2009/10/15 Sachin Malave <sachinmalave_at_gmail.com>:

> Its not like we want to make project bad. Squid was not deployed on
> smp before because we did not have shared memory architectures
> (multi-cores), also the library support for multi-threading was like
> nightmare for people. Now things are changed, it is very easy to
> manage threads, people have multi-core machines at their desktops, and
> as hardware is available now or later somebody has to try and build
> SMP support. think about future.......
>
> To cop with internet speed & increase in number of users, Squid must
> use multi-core architecture and distribute its work............

I 100% agree with your comments. I agree 100% that Squid needs to be
made scalable on multi-core boxes.

Writing threaded code may be easier now than in the past, but the ways
of screwing stability, debuggability, performance and such -haven't-
changed.. This is what I'm trying to get across. :)

Adrian