Re: gcc -pipe

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 18:09:49 +0100

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Henrik Nordstrom
<henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> ons 2009-10-28 klockan 15:52 +0100 skrev Kinkie:
>
>>   is there any reason anyone of you can see NOT to use "-pipe" as a
>> standard option every time we build using gcc? It would give us
>> instantly a better parallelization when running on multicore systems,
>> and as far as I know this option has been stable and in wide use for a
>> number of years and gcc/g++ releases..
>
> Well, I always build with -j4 or so..
>
> No opinion either way.
>
> Documentations for -pipe says however that "This fails to work on some
> systems where the assembler is unable to read from a pipe; but the GNU
> assembler has no trouble."

We can try and add an explicit configure check if needed (I'd have
liked to avoid it, but we can probably just copy/paste).
-jsomething is IMO slightly more confusing when troubleshooting a
build as the output lines may get intermixed. -pipe doesn't suffer
from this.

--
    /kinkie