Re: /bzr/squid3/trunk/ r10069: Fixed OpenSolaris build issues.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:59:41 +1300

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 13:19 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> Just a note on this change...
>>
>> I'm trying to get rid of XTRA_LIBS entirely. It's adding to the code bloat
>> and external library dependencies in Squid.
>
> This isn't clear to me, can you expand on it please. Specifically how
> XTRA_LIBS - the list of additional libraries to link against - is
> different to COMMON_LIBS.

Very little.

XTRA_LIBS is old and pulls in a mix of external libraries, local lib/*
files, paths and sometimes build flags.
It's used in some of the older binaries under helpers, tools, test-suite
etc.

For one small example; XTRA_LIBS currently pulls into the ufsdump helper
(which only really needs storage, diskio, crypt/md5, and _maybe_ the
header parser):
  * epoll - main squid binary only.
  * windows threading libraries - main binary only.
  * kerberos libraries and build flags - main binary and one helper only.
  * OpenSSL libraries - main binary only.
  * berkley db - session helper only.

COMMON_LIBS was added by Alex quite recently. It seems to be used only
within src/Makefile.am and for compatibility sharing of the base/core
convenience libraries use by the older slightly bloated binaries built
there.

I'm viewing it as a slightly cleaned up version of XTRA_LIBS.

Binaries built elsewhere have been pared down to minimal linkages
already. Or for helpers are in the process of that happening now.

As the unit-tests are cleaned up they only have a list of libraries used
by the test and stubs for the hanging bits.

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.14