Re: squid-smp: synchronization issue & solutions

From: Robert Collins <robertc_at_robertcollins.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:20:44 +1100

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 15:49 -0300, Gonzalo Arana wrote:

> In my limited squid expierence, cpu usage is hardly a bottleneck. So,
> why not just use smp for the cpu/disk-intensive parts?
>
> The candidates I can think of are:
> * evaluating regular expressions (url_regex acls).
> * aufs/diskd (squid already has support for this).

So, we can drive squid to 100% CPU in production high load environments.
To scale further we need:
 - more cpus
 - more performance from the cpu's we have

Adrian is working on the latter, and the SMP discussion is about the
former. Simply putting each request in its own thread would go a long
way towards getting much more bang for buck - but thats not actually
trivial to do :)

-Rob