Re: R: obsoleting nextstep?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 20:17:46 +1300

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> lör 2009-12-05 klockan 00:32 +1300 skrev Amos Jeffries:
>
>> +1. Last mentioned by that name in a press release 14 years ago. Much
>> more talk and use of Squid on the various Linux flavors built for the PS3.
>> I believe they come under GNU/Linux tags.
>
> No idea what newsos was. Searching... Sony M68K workstation in the 80s
> and early 90s. Doubt anyone have been running Squid on those since early
> 90s if even then...
>
> Gegarding ps3, "otheros" is most often Linux. FreeBSD also exists.
> Fairly straightforward platform to us (powerpc CPU, and some
> co-processors we don't touch). Again I highly doubt anyone is running
> Squid on those, but should share the same properties as IBM Power
> mainframes running Linux of FreeBSD so..

Yup. Though I do know of a large handful of people actively running
Squid on PS3+Linux the recent ICY pressure was mostly from that lot.
It's an excellent media gateway for the whole network with HTTP and
streaming relays all at one IP, the new large HDD versions even make
decent caches.

> It's not a big issue if we happens to delete one or two oldish platforms
> too many. If there is someone running on that platform they usually fix
> it themselves (mostly knowledgeable geeks) and come back to us. So there
> is no pressing need to preserve old platforms when touching
> compatibility code. But it's also not worth much to discuss old
> platforms viability.
>
> My proposal regarding these in general is to touch them as little as
> possible. If encountering such code when shuffling things around for
> readability then drop them in the shuffle if easier than relocating the
> code.

:) we are pretty much gathering the list and accounting for how old the
OS are. It's a done-deal that the old ones will go from 3.2 unless
interested users speak up.

The ones I and Guido mentioned are all just special-cases in
configure.in which is being re-shaped now. NextStep is slightly unusual
in having .cc code as well.

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.15