Re: SMB help needed

From: Robert Collins <robertc_at_robertcollins.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:49:03 +1100

On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 23:33 +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> tor 2009-12-10 klockan 00:34 +1300 skrev Amos Jeffries:
>
> > A few months ago we had this argument out and decided to keep them for
> > the people who still don't want to or can't install Samba.
>
> Indeed. The SMB helpers are easier to get going as one does not need to
> join the domain or anything, just being able to speak to the SMB port of
> a server in the domain.
>
> But other than that the helpers are in quite crappy shape..

They are easier in that sense, but worse in the following:
 - they put more load on the domain
 - can't do NTLM reliably
 - very old, very crufty code

I know we had the argument, but I'm not at all convinced that keeping
them is the right answer.

I think a better answer is to talk to samba to find out if winbindd can
be used outside a domain, which is the only usecase these helpers are
'better' at, and if it can - or if it could be changed to do so, then do
that, and get rid of the cruft as at that point it won't offer anything.

-Rob