[RFC] Micro Benchmarking

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:05:04 +1300

I've been giving some thought to how we can do this in an automated way.

If anyone has a better way please mention it...

So far what I'm thinking is to leverage cppunit to building
benchmark-units which output some stats about how long it took to run
some operation/function N times.

Starting with a basic one to be designed, which can be used as a
baseline for the CPU/machine doing the run.

The scope of these micro operations would be individual function/method
call sequences with no async sub-steps. Such as measuring and ranking
the raw speed of the fast ACL types, clientDB lookups, memPool
allocate/free/garbage-collection, etc.

The tricky bit appears to be recovering the benchmark output and
handling it after a run.

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.15