Re: ipaddress.cc debugging

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:41:55 +1300

Matthew Morgan wrote:
> When running squid trunk with debugging on, recently I started getting a
> lot of lines like the following:
>
> 2010/01/11 16:51:31| IpAddress.cc(516) LookupHostIP: Given Bad IP
> 'www.google.com': Name or service not known
>
> Is this a big deal? I just updated my working copy of trunk today with
> no change in the errors. My squid.conf for testing is completely
> default besides adding effective user/group directives that run squid as
> user=proxy and group=proxy. I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 with all the latest
> updates. My current kernel is 2.6.28-17.
>
> Squid still seems to be retrieving files just fine, though.

IpAddress code recently got proper debugging enabled.

That message is a result of a domain instead of an IP text string being
stored in the IpAddress object. That is done in many places in the code
to test if an input is an IP or domain string. It's not a real problem.

I've now bumped the message down to level 3 where it should not cause so
much annoyance. Sorry about that.

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.15