Re: How should I test squid-smp ??

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:45:10 -0700

On 01/11/2010 04:49 AM, Sachin Malave wrote:

> I have multi-core(32) core server here, Now the squid-smp is running
> with two threads(schedule and dispatch), Some bugs may be there. I
> want to test squid here in my lab, please tell me a mechanism or
> strategy that must be used for rigorous testing.... Any tool that is
> available, because i know i have not locked everything from
> simultaneous accesses...

If you are talking about serious performance testing, I would recommend
Web Polygraph. One set of tests that we are running now is a
multi-instance versus SMP comparison. You can configure Polygraph to
send requests to multiple HTTP proxies (e.g., multiple http_ports in
Squid) which should give you something like an upper bound for SMP
performance in a non-caching environment.

There is no single comprehensive functionality test suite for Squid,
unfortunately. "Make check" is a start but it is not going to get you
very far. Heavy performance tests, with feature-reach workloads (see
above) often expose many functionality bugs. Co-Advisor tests can be
added to probe deeper into HTTP handling stack.

When the code is relatively stable, it can be tried live on IRCache.

HTH,

Alex.