Re: --disable-eui Enable use of ARP / MAC/ EUI (ether address)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:03:33 +1300

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:21:06 -0800, Linda W <squid-user_at_tlinx.org> wrote:
> in configure script, I found the subject line...
>
> disable = enable? I think thats a "dyslogicism"...
>

> am regoing through config options to set the default user correctly and
> turn
> off some things I'm not using (rather than turning on the world (hey, I
> like the
> world...but...maybe it will run faster (ok....microseconds will be
> insignificant
> compared to my line speed!)... I read on /. that 'sands, Utah" had
> highest average
> broadband at 33Mbps (but it was capped at 200K/month at that speed, not
> sure
> what that's worth!) Still if it was always 1st 200K, then down to half
> that speed,
> that'd be ok... still >5 times faster than my DSL...:-)
>
> Regarding config -- and pinger...something is "off" there.
>
> I tried running squid as root (and put user squid back in
squid.conf)...and
> it still couldn't open pinger. Does it not open pinger before it drops
> privs?

No. But the pinger binary needs to be chown'd to root or something that
can open raw TCP sockets for sending ICMP.

> I checked, and default suse install doesn't install pinger with suid
> root (in 11.1 or
> 11.2). Is that expected/needed?
>
> I don't think my pinger was ever working if that's the case unless squid

> started
> pinger before dropping privs...strange -- it doesn't appear to do that
with
> current release...
>
> So is this disabled-eui = enabled, enabled or disabled by default?

Enabled by default. The option name is right, the text is wrong.

> I'm guessing it's for ACL control? EUI? ?!? (Another TLA I don't
> know...)
> IPV6? Wireless?

EUI-48 / MAC address (previously the 'arp' ACL type)
EUI-64 / The unique host portion of an IPv6 'SLAAC' (auto-configured)
address.

Amos