Re: SMP: process-specific options

From: Tsantilas Christos <chtsanti_at_users.sourceforge.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 06:30:56 -0500 (EST)

> Log rotation will probably need special care to avoid rotating the same
> log many times. It is relatively easy to designate one process to do the
> rotation (e.g., squid1), but that alone is not enough to synchronize
> everything. Ideally, I would prefer to avoid locking. Any clever tricks
> applicable here?

Maybe something like the following:
- there is a master process
- master process communicates with one direction pipes with kids, sending
various commands

For logs rotation:
  - master process closes the old file and rename it
  - master process opens a new log file
  - kids still writing to the old file (because they did not close the
file descriptor yet)
  - master process send a command to all kids saying that the log file
rotated
  - The kids close the log file and reopen it.

The above will work at least for unix systems (I do not know about
MS-Windows)
Master/kids communication using pipes is used by the apache worker server.
I am also using it in my icap server. I am not seeing any problem.

Regards,
   Christos