Re: SMP: conditional compilation

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:53:38 +1300

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:50:31 -0700, Alex Rousskov
<rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would rather not protect SMP-specific code in #ifdefs, except
> where necessary for portability reasons. In other words, I do not want
> to add a --disable-smp configure option or similar. There will be a
> squid.conf way to disable SMP and one can always use -N command line
> option with an even more drastic effect.
>
> Do you think we need --disable-smp or even --enable-smp?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Alex.

My view of the enable/disable compile options is that hey are most useful
for people building minimal footprint binaries. A configuration option to
minimize the footprint for SMP would be just as useful.

I'd probably opt for wrapping individual parts of SMP such as plug-in IPC
components, or anything else like that where things are optional rather
than the whole code.

Amos