[RFC] Translation of Squid program strings

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 02:30:18 +0000

If anyone has ideas towards this please add.

As you probably know, I'm slowly rolling translation of texts across the
Squid code base.
I've now done the easy bits (error pages and manuals). For 3.2 I'd like to
go a bit further.

The types of program strings I've identified so far are:

* Strings Squid adds to the error pages (month names, OS messages, other
stuff?)

* Month names Squid adds to access.log

* Warning: headers ??

* administrative debugs() messages (WARNING etc)
 I don't believe we want to go deeper than the level 1 stuff being shown
to administrators.

We will also face the problem of;
 * if cache.log stuff gets translated and someone reports an error how do
we read it ourselves?
It might involve adding some context code to the output. I hate dealing
with those, but to to make the major cache.log text localized we may
require it.
... or it may involve dumping the text twice (English + Foo versions)

Amos