Re: Extending squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:40:50 +1300

noor nashid wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I want to modify Squid in the following way:

Please contact the squid-dev mailing list abut this type of thing.

I've cc'd the mailing list now so that other developers involved can
join the discussion.

> Firstly I want to use gzip compression for texts

This has already been completed. The author may
   http://code.google.com/p/squid-ecap-gzip/

> Later I shall go for Image Compression using ImageMagick Library

Sounds interesting. I'm doubtful about the usefulness vs the resouce
reuirements. But only implementation and testing will prove that.

> And thirdly I want to download a whole page in Squid, and then I want to
> transfer that to the other side (i.e. to the browser/client) using a
> single HTTP pipelined connection. Suppose we are browsing
> http://www.squid-cache.org/ . Here I shall gather all objects of the
> website and then I shall respond back to the client using a single TCP
> connection. The point here is not open a TCP connection for each
> object.

As I understand it pipelining in HTTP is something different.

Persistent connections (what you describe) are already available in
Squid for both single TCP link to server and to client. Most browsers
attempt to use them. As does Squid. The handicap appears to be web
Servers not adding Content-Length information to all responses.

I believe this server problem can best be resolved by doing
chunked-encoding of the unknown length objects to HTTP/1.1 clients.
Removing the need to close the client connection when the object finishes.

Squid is about to start sending HTTP/1.1 responses to clients now. Which
removes the final blocking obstacle to doing chunked encoding inside Squid.

Chunked transfers was a measurement factory project. Before starting it
would be best to contact Alex and see if they already have the encoding
part underway or not.

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.18