Re: Expanding functionality qos_flows options

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 03:12:26 +1200

Krzysztof Mościcki wrote:
> Hello
>
> Please help in making patches expanding functionality qos_flows options for
> setting the TOS value depending on the acls.
> The existing patch in the attachment. Unfortunately, there is a problem in the
> case where acl rep_header, because in the log displays the message:
>
> "ACL: checklistMatches WARNING: 'peer_hit' ACL is used but there is no HTTP
> reply - not matching."
>
> How to correctly do the headings to be checked?
>
> I use this functionality in squid 2.7 in the following configuration:
> - running squid in a typical configuration (transparent proxy),
> - additionally run an additional instance of squid only on large files
> - in the first squid, second squid is configured as a parent, to which requests
> are relayed typically large files such as iso, rar, zip, ...,
> - depending on the X-Cache header from the parent is set TOS to the clients.
>
> Such a solution is not required any changes in the kernel and it works well
> since 2007: http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200706/0029.html
>
> cheers,
> Krzysztof Mościcki

I don't see what use this is nowdays.

It seems to me a step backward in functionality from the
tcp_outgoing_tos control which allows multiple different TOS values for
different ACL lists.
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/tcp_outgoing_tos

The example use-case you describe as needing this is also the same
use-case for the ZPH configuration:

    qos_flows parent-hit=0x80

(ie, only marking on replies received which were HIT in the parent proxy
cache).

I am interested in that tproxy/XFF patch you mention in your old
submission. There have been some recent improvements to the security of
XFF and mainstreaming of tproxy which make it a nice possibility if done
carefully.

Please be using