Re: HTTP/1.1 to clients in 3.1.2?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 08:55:30 -0600

On 05/01/2010 08:02 AM, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> I saw that the change to announce HTTP/1.1 to clients has sneaked in in
> 3.1.2. Is this really intentional? Can't remember seeing any discussion
> about this.
>
> I know we discussed announcing HTTP/1.1 towards servers, but imho we are
> not yet ready for announcing HTTP/1.1 towards clients.
>
> - Not yet fully capable of processing chunked requests
> - Expect handling not in place

I was pleasantly surprised that we could announce HTTP/1.1 on both
sides. I assumed there was consensus that we can do it, but I have not
verified it.

Chunked requests: The current buffer-and-forward code is probably
compliant. It is also inefficient and limits the size of the request,
but I doubt that violates the standard. We should definitely replace
buffer-and-forward with a pipeline approach (and there is already
committed draft code to do that), but this does not sound like a
show-stopper to me. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Expect handling: It sounds like Amos and you either disagree or
misunderstood each other as far as Expect handling is concerned. My
understanding is that there was some Expect-handling code committed
recently that brings Squid3 code close to what Squid2 does. What do you
think is currently missing from Squid3 Expect-handling code to be able
to announce HTTP/1.1 support to clients?

Thank you,

Alex.