Re: DNS & IPv6

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 11:59:27 +0200

lör 2010-05-22 klockan 23:37 +0000 skrev Amos Jeffries:

> For comparison the OS resolver does them sequentially with A first unless
> the options "inet6" entry is set. That default encourages non-v6 traffic
> which we want to reverse.

Fedora since at least Fedora 12 does the lookups in parallel.

In Fedora 12 the ipv6 addresses were preferred. But now in Fedora 13 it
seems it prefers ipv4. Hopefully it's just because I am using ip6to4 and
not a native IPv6 address.

> Doing them in parallel I think is a good idea from the speed viewpoint. We
> will need to be careful over which lookup uses, such as forwarding, can go
> ahead with just ONE set and want the fastest path; versus lookups like
> config and ACL which require BOTH to be completed before it is reliably
> answered.

I would wait until the response from both is available. We can only go
forward and try forwarding after first response if the forwarding then
can wait for the other if needed..