Re: DNS & IPv6

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 23:55:33 +1200

Kinkie wrote:
>> I would wait until the response from both is available. We can only go
>> forward and try forwarding after first response if the forwarding then
>> can wait for the other if needed..
>
> Do the two lookups by some reason need to be in separate queries?
> Can't we just ask for the A and AAAA in the same query packet?
> Sorry for my ignorance..

Interesting question. Great thinking.

It's done as two simply because I did not know RFC 1035 well back then
(not that I know much more now) and it was fairly easy to code.

Section 4.1.2 does say that there can be up to a 16-bit integer worth of
questions in a request. UDP packet sizes will not be an issue in the new
version.

It would really depend on how well the real-world resolvers responded to
more than one questions.

Hno; EDNS fields were trivial to add as well and close the EDNS bug. I
have some experimental code on west adding them which I can push your
way if you like. Just stupid build errors AFAIK.

Please be using