Re: [RFC] minimal build option for configure

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 12:38:43 +0200

tor 2010-05-27 klockan 13:16 +1200 skrev Amos Jeffries:

> Auto-enable is great for encouraging feature use in self-builds, but for
> distros its just added work for the downstream maintainers.

Well, things like IPv6 is auto-enable in most packages now, not just
Squid.

But I have expressed this before, we are doing way to many run checks at
configure time. Every configure test actually running things should be
carefully evaluated if

- Is this really needed?
- Can it be done runtime instead?
- Or alternatively would an explicit configure argument work? (maybe
with option for autodetect by running)

Distro build farms will generally be consistent in software environment
provided for the build, but MAY differ significantly in host
configuration and kernel capabilities.

Run tests are also very bad for cross-compilation (not possible).