Re: [rfc] autoconf-refactor: change semantics of valgrind option?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 17:12:33 +1200

Kinkie wrote:
> Hi all,
> we currently have a non-standard way of handling valgrind: instead
> of the common --enable-valgrind, we now use a --with-valgrind[=path].
> I'd like to change that to the standard behavior of a boolean --enable
> flag, the path can be passed using environment variables (CPPFLAGS).
>
> This changes the user-visible behavior slightly, I'd like to gather feedback.
>
> Thanks

The "standard" we try to use is the GNU autoconf recommendations.
They outline --with-PACKAGE when support or linkage of some other
external software is to be included, and --enable-FEATURE for specific
local features.

IMO valgrind is an external package we optionally link in special
support and definitions for.

Please be using