Re: Marking uncached packets with a netfilter mark value

From: Andrew Beverley <andy_at_andybev.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:51:54 +0100

> > So, is the best way of implementing this to do the same as transparent
> > proxying, and check whether the (proposed) marking option is enabled in
> > squid.conf when executing restoreCapabilities? If the user has asked for
> > packets to be marked, then CAP_NET_ADMIN will be retained. The mark
> > would then be applied in comm.cc in a similar way to the TOS settings.
> >
> > Andy
>
> Cool.
> So, do you have a clear use-case we can add to the wiki and commit
> message?

I'll send one through shortly (or should I add it myself?). Should it be
the same as the items in the Features list?

> What do you think, for the config UI:
> qos_flows - adding an initial flag "tos"|"mark" which determines which
> marking type is to be set. Followed by the current (or extended)
> stream=value tags. Default to "tos" if missing for backward compatibility
> So we end up with:
> qos_flows tos parent-hit=0xA sibling-hit=0xB
> qos_flows mark local-miss=0x1

I was thinking of a separate config option, but you're right, it makes
sense to put this in the same option.

> The current src/ip/QosConfig.h fields may become a sub-struct of fields
> if there is a double-up in wanting to label a stream with both TOS and
> mark.

I can't see much requirement to do both, but I guess for completeness,
as it's technically possible it should be implemented.

I'd also like to implement a preserve-miss feature. However, in my
initial testing I was unable to retrieve the mark on the packet received
by Squid.

Andy