Re: [RFC] removing HEAD label

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 02:42:50 +1200

Henrik Nordström wrote:
> lör 2010-06-26 klockan 17:27 +1200 skrev Amos Jeffries:
>> Part of the problem at present with snapshots is the 3-way labeling of
>> trunk/3.HEAD/HEAD. snapshot is expecting to find tarballs at:
>> .../Versions/v3/3.HEAD/squid-3.HEAD.tar.bz2
>>
>> What are you others thoughts about finally removing the "HEAD"
>> denominator and starting to label it as 3.*.0.0 to match the release
>> version which is in alpha at any given time?
>
> Currently 3.N+1.0.0 do not exists until it's been branched from trunk.

Thats in the tags, yes. We continue to have have trunk, SQUID_3_1, etc.

I'm talking about the configure.in label which falls through to the
tarballs, ${tmpdir}/*/squid-N.tar.gz and
${basedir}/Versions/vN/N.M/squid-N.M.tar.gz paths

As for existence of 3.2.0.0, we dont actually package any such release
right now. AFAICS all of the head "alpha code" snapshots come under that
moniker, but the first 3.2 official beta release is 3.2.0.1 when we are
sure the branching has not broken the server.

> Nah, more on that later. I still have hope on getting the work flow I
> desire wrt trunk. Current have some rather stupid limitations.

Okay. Can we start discussion on that now. So that it gets cleared up
before 3.2.0.1 starts packaging?

>> This will remove a few special cases in the auto-build and
>> auto-packaging systems.
>
> Which special cases?
>
> The only special case I am aware of is the limitation that langpack
> should only be built from trunk. And this will stay a special case no
> matter what version trunk is packaged as.
>
> What other special cases are you thinking of eliminating?

mksnapshot.sh to get it working again will needed a special case of
$VERSION created to alter the output tarballs from *-3.HEAD-* to *-HEAD-*

Thats what I can see so far, there may be more in the scripts downstream
or upstream of mksnapshot.sh in the packaging process.

The two tarball and website URL paths caused by the above right now.

That can be done by dropping "HEAD" and making it "3.2.0.0" or "3.HEAD".
I'm happy with either so far as the tarball cases go.

Please be using