Re: [RFC] removing HEAD label

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 14:16:27 -0600

On 06/26/2010 02:03 PM, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> sön 2010-06-27 klockan 02:42 +1200 skrev Amos Jeffries:
>
>>> Nah, more on that later. I still have hope on getting the work flow I
>>> desire wrt trunk. Current have some rather stupid limitations.
>
>> Okay. Can we start discussion on that now. So that it gets cleared up
>> before 3.2.0.1 starts packaging?
>
> It's unrelated to Squid packaging. It's a project management thing.
>
>> mksnapshot.sh to get it working again will needed a special case of
>> $VERSION created to alter the output tarballs from *-3.HEAD-* to *-HEAD-*
>
> Ok. The outputs SHOULD be squid-3.HEAD-XXXXXXX.tar.* not
> Squid-HEAD-XXXXXXXX.tar.*. All traces of Squid-HEAD-* should go away.
>
> HEAD alone is an old relic which should have been killed the day we
> started Squid-3.
>
> I am not aware of the scripts being dependent on HEAD without version,
> but if they are then that should be fixed. The only I remember of my
> head is that it also installs web links without version for legacy
> reasons, not that it actively looks for something without version.

I do not have any strong opinions or preferences but packaging trunk
code using some numbered version is a little confusing, IMO, especially
when you need to work with something that was packaged a while ago: "Was
that snapshot produced from trunk code or branched code?"

I would probably use revision numbers for packaging trunk code (with or
without the date), but there may be plenty of reasons not to do that.

Alex.