Re: [MERGE] SMP implementation, part 1

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 15:03:52 -0600

On 07/01/2010 01:31 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> On 30/06/2010, at 6:46 PM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>
>> ICP and HTCP _servers_: share listening sockets.

> Am I right that currently, it's effectively a random process that
> handles the query or CLR, and no state / effects are shared among
> processes?

Yes, in this patch, no caching state is shared among worker processes.

By default, the OS decides which process gets to read from a shared
listening socket but you can segregate processes using process-dedicated
listening addresses in squid.conf.

The current implementation makes SMP Squid similar to a Squid farm
behind a load balancer with no cache affinity guarantees. Perfect for
non-caching Squids and inapropriate for Squids that must coordinate
caching activities (everything in-between is a gray area).

HTH,

Alex.