HTTP Digest authentication support in Squid

From: Chitresh Kakwani <chitreshkakwani_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 23:56:21 +0530

Hi,

I posted this issue in squid users mailing list few weeks ago :

I tried to configure squid proxy on my machine to use another squid
proxy(installed on another machine) as the parent proxy. The parent
proxy requires HTTP Digest authorization. My objective is to set up a
local proxy which deals with the parent proxy's authorization and
provides authorization free access to programs on my machine. But the
local proxy sends HTTP Basic authentication header in HTTP requests if
the following configuration directive is used :

cache_peer 192.168.10.1 parent 8080 0 no-query login=username:password

I want to implement support for HTTP Digest authentication in Squid. I
was told that it requires adding processing of 407 responses to
http.cc and forward.cc. I've been looking at squid's code but I find
myself lost. Can somebody please explain how to go about implementing
this in detail ?

Thanks
Chitresh Kakwani