Re: Upcoming HTTP Compliance patches

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:35:32 -0600

On 07/28/2010 10:43 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:23:34 -0600, Alex Rousskov
> <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are working on a series of patches to make Squid conditionally
>> compliant with RFC 2616 (at least). Our primary focus is on eliminating
>> all HTTP/1.1 violations detected by Co-Advisor. The checklist with the
>> current violations is available as the spreadsheet linked from
>> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/HTTP11
>>
>> I am sending this introductiory message to emphasize the scope of the
>> upcoming compliance patches. I know that some of those changes can be
>> broadened to cover more areas or improve more code, but we need to focus
>
>> on specific violations in order to complete this project in time for
>> v3.2 release. As we discover related bugs or uncovered cases, we will
>> add them to Squid and Co-Advisor to-dos and come back to them after this
>> project is completed.
>>
>> If you want to help with the compliance-related development, please ping
>
>> me. We can coordinate our efforts using the checklist as it provides
>> many well-isolated cases that we can work on in parallel.
>
> Would like to assist but will be distracted by the split-stack IPv6
> stabilizing, cleanup-comm, and stale-* feature portage for the next few
> weeks at least.

Sure, you are doing a lot more than enough already, and I did not expect
you to add this to your plate.

> After the last checklist update I did manage to take some time to track
> down the regressions in the Connectivity section tests. They seemed to be
> failing due to Squids new stricter input validation. Two of the
> connectivity tests were sending in strange end-of-line on headers and
> failing Squid when it responded with a invalid-request response. I think
> co-advisor needed a bit of a tuning there to test connectivity with a clean
> compliant request and the header breakage response in a separate test.

Yes, we have hit the same problem in other test cases where Co-Advisor
uses compliant but unusual requests to detect tunneling mode, and Squid
rejects those requests for no good reason. Patches pending.

Thank you,

Alex.