Re: make problem?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 22:18:04 +1200

Linda Walsh wrote:

> Had multiple problems building.

Thank you for mentioning it.

Since this email appears to have been mailed a week ago and only just
arrived here the issues may be resolved already. The 3.1.5.1 bundle was
unstable with a lot of issues now resolved.

If you have other issues or any still remaining in the build please let
us know some details about what they are and what release they are
occuring in so we can work on the fixes.

> Turns out I need to specify --disable-strict-error-checking?
> Is this new?

The option is new. For certain packaging systems which build directly
from our source files with no quality assurance or environment control
to ensure a completely clean build.

> Shouldn't this be the default?

No. As noted in the docs: please use with care as a last resort and
report to us the particular errors requiring its use.

Ignoring warnings and small errors on portable applications with as much
code as Squid easily snowballs into larger errors for everybody. Case in
point the increasing build problems in 3.1.4 thru 3.1.5.1 where this was
accidentally enabled by default.
We do not have the resources for testing Squid in every environment its
used and depend on user feedback like yours to know some problems even
exist.

Please be using