[RFC] helper API

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:46:12 +1200

After the helper C++ build migration we have a partial API for the
helper tools. Some of them even make use of the #defined macros.

I managed to bungle and put the old-style debug() definition for helpers
into the libcompat. It's now clear that this would be better suited in
the API for helpers and non-squid tools.

What I'm looking at right now for the helpers is:
  * some wrapper for main() that calls out to user functions for
handling a line received and processing command line options.
  * some definition of the user functions required to do the above.
  * some macros (as now) for performing OK/ERR etc feedback to squid.
These take a char* parameter for additional key-pairs or messages.
  * the debug() call doing printf-style output as now but with automatic
prefixing of helper name and PID (matching the kidN for cache.log)
  * standardizing the -d (debug on) and -h (help) parameters for all
helpers compiled.

Does anyone have any advice about good ways to make a formal public API
that the existing bundled helpers, and potentially third-parties could
use when building C/C++ helpers for Squid?

ie things that must be one for versioning alterations over time.

Can we do it without a built library? ie only inlines, templates and macros?

Amos