Re: StringNg review: MemBlob

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:56:44 -0600

Hi Kinkie,

     Attached is am untested patch with some final polishing changes for
MemBlob, based on lp:~kinkie/squid/stringng revision 9517. I think the
MemBlob class should be committed to trunk after these changes are
tested and polished (I may have missed a few minor problems when moving
or renaming stuff). The rest of the branch code would need to be synced
as well.

The patch preamble documents the major changes.

While working on this, I realized that the "MemBlob::size" member is
only an approximation, and that MemBlob class is probably not usable for
efficient message body pipelining (BodyPipe and friends). We will
probably change MemBlob API later to accommodate users other than
strings, but that can wait. I adjusted the append call to remove the use
of pointers which may make future changes less disruptive.

Once MemBlob is committed, please consider re-integrating it with memory
pools. This is the biggest remaining XXX, IMO.

Thank you,

Alex.