Diving with the Squid

From: Rémy Sanchez <remy.sanchez_at_hyperthese.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:39:53 +0100

Hi,

I run Squid on a dorm network, to decrease content loading time with
cache. Currently, we're upgrading Squid to 3.1, because we are moving to
IPv6. But, since our bandwidth is quite limited, we have great interest
in caching videos from Youtube/Dailomtion/Youporn/pick one. However,
this requires to use storeurl, which has not been ported to Squid 3.1,
and there is no trace of it in 3.2 either.

I see in the release notes that "If you need something to do then
porting one of these from Squid-2 to Squid-3 is most welcome.", so here
I am :)

To introduce myself a little bit further, I'm a (student) network
engineer, and I have been hacking around for a few years. I've already
run small/mid-sized projects on my own, like Karibou [1], but never
really contributed code to something as big as Squid (there's a first
time to everything :)). My programming experience is mostly with
scripting languages (Python, PHP) or GUI development with C++/Qt, thus I
did never "really" code in C : most of the things I've done are typical
school projects, and reading source code to help me understanding the
documentation.

So, for now I'll read a bit about squid internals and coding guidelines
waiting for any question/comment. Have a good day/evening/night/whatever :)

--
Rémy Sanchez
[1] http://gitorious.org/karibou