Sharing DNS cache among Squid workers

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:07:00 -0700

Hello,

    Should Squid workers share DNS caches (IP and FQDN)?

On one hand, sharing the cache is likely to reduce DNS cache miss ratio,
which may be important in environments where DNS is flaky, slow, or
overloaded. On the other hand, sharing increases code complexity, even
if implemented without significant performance overheads.

We are considering implementing a shared DNS cache but the code will
most likely require significant changes to the existing DNS cache
structures. The two structures (IP and FQDN) might even be merged into
one "DNS cache". I will not do it if the changes are not going to be
merged back.

Thank you,

Alex.