Performance degredation in recent Squid releases

From: Phil Oester <kernel_at_linuxace.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:59:54 -0800

I recently upgraded a proxy farm from 2.7 to 3.1, and saw
a huge performance drop. For validation purposes, I setup
a test box with a local webserver and different versions of
Squid to compare performance. The test involved transferring
a single 500MB file (output to /dev/null). I also included
tinyproxy and Apache for comparison purposes. Results are
as follows (average of 5 runs):

        3.2.0.4: 43 MB/s
         3.1.10: 47 MB/s
  3.0 stable 25: 53 MB/s
   2.7 stable 9: 120 MB/s
  2.6 stable 23: 123 MB/s
tinyproxy 1.6.5: 146 MB/s
  apache 2.2.17: 210 MB/s
         direct: 725 MB/s

As one can see, the drop from 2.x to 3.x is huge, likely due
to the C++ refactoring. And each successive 3.x version
has continued the downward trend.

So my question is whether any work is being done on improving
performance of the 3.x series? The performance drop of > 50%
is quite noticable for end users. Is there anything I can
do to help?

Phil Oester