Re: Early pre-HEAD patch testing

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 14:52:38 -0700

On 02/07/2011 03:33 AM, Kinkie wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
>> On 04/02/11 17:55, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm happy to announce the creation of a new generic shared job
>>> "3.ALPHA-patches" which accepts an upload patch file and applies it to
>>> the latest 3.HEAD/trunk code before running a full portability test
>>> sequence.
>>>

>> Sad news, there seems to be another bug in the matrix feature which breaks
>> this. The patch file gets broken when passed on the secondary builds.
>> :(

Sigh.

> Let's just use feature-branches. They work OK; if we pull them off
> launchpad we can use shared/stacked repositories etc.

Anything that works would be better than the current
commit-then-watch-tests-fail approach.

The problem with branches is that you have to commit changes (and,
later, fixes) _before_ you test. Sometimes, that is not a good idea
because you may want to simply _reject_ the patch if it fails the test
instead of committing/fixing it. I suspect it would be OK to abuse lp a
little and create a "garbage" branch not associated with any specific
long-term development but used "when I need to test a patch" instead.

Thank you,

Alex.