Re: [RFC] straightening out unit-test dependencies

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:17:39 -0700

On 02/18/2011 12:56 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> During the shuffling work for SourceLayout I keep running headlong into
> the few remaining unit tests which include nearly all of the squid
> sources due to legacy design.
>
> This is further hampered by the fact that the worst ones appear short
> but make use of nested $() sub-list includes. So not only do they have
> dependency on the .cc files but on the .cc files incuded by otehr unit
> tests as well.
>
> Does anyone object to a patch which unwinds these nested $() lists and
> makes the remaining messy unit tests include their full minimal list of
> .cc directly?

FWIW, I cannot object to anything you think will fix test cases! We all
know how much time is often wasted on trying to make them work again
after moving a few misplaced code lines.

I am sure there are useful cases somewhere, but I wonder whether the net
result has been positive so far (rhetorical). I would not object to
removing or disabling poorly written cases either.

Thank you,

Alex.