Re: dns_timeout and dns_retransmit_interval in ms

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:43:14 +1300

On 13/03/11 10:00, Tsantilas Christos wrote:
> Convert dns_timeout and dns_retransmit_interval configuration options to
> use millisecond resolution.
>
> One second resolution is too coarse for small timeouts in
> delay-sensitive environments, especially when a retransmit, bypass, or
> another corrective action is available and is likely to produce a
> positive outcome. In DNS world specifically, most timeouts are measured
> in milliseconds.
>

> NOTE: This patch add a new cf.data.pre type the time_msec which is a
> uint64_t. I found more practical to use an integer to store miliseconds,
> but using the timeval type may has advandages too.
>

> This is a Measurement Factory project

+1.

I will also propose a related change. Reducing the dns_timeout to 5
seconds default.

The existing state of several 2 minute dns_timeout expecting to be
finished within a 1 minute connect_timeout is leading to connection
problems on some systems where IPv6 times out but IPv4 is perfectly usable.

Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.5