[RFC] Configurable SSL error details

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 12:51:21 -0600

Hello,

    Currently, the contents of %D error page code expansion is hard-coded:

> static SslErrorDetailEntry TheSslDetailArray[] = {
> {X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_GET_CRL,
> "X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_GET_CRL",
> "%err_name: %ssl_error_descr: %ssl_subject",
> "Unable to get certificate CRL"},
> {X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_DECRYPT_CERT_SIGNATURE,
> "X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_DECRYPT_CERT_SIGNATURE",
> "%err_name: %ssl_error_descr: %ssl_subject",
> "Unable to decrypt certificate's signature"},
> {X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_DECRYPT_CRL_SIGNATURE,
> "X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_DECRYPT_CRL_SIGNATURE",
> "%err_name: %ssl_error_descr: %ssl_subject",
> "Unable to decrypt CRL's signature"},

Hard-coded text prevents folks from fully translating and customizing
error pages containing %D codes.

I suggest that we add support for a translatable and customizable error
detail file. The file may be stored like we store error page templates
today. Inside the file, we can use HTTP-like format that can be later
extended to other error details (and beyond):

key1: value
key2: value
key3: value

key1: value
key2: multi
     line
     value
key3: "value with meaningless quotes that will be stripped"
key4: "value with a \"quoted string\" inside"

We can use HTTP header parser to parse the above, I guess. If the above
is too fragile, we can wrap each group of key/value pairs:

{
key: value
key: value
key: value
}

or use some other format that we can already parse. The important things
here are:

  - support groupings of key/value pairs (because one error code is
often associated with multiple strings/details)

  - support long text, markup, and translations (because that is what
error pages and other contexts may need)

  - reuse existing parsing code to the extent possible

For example, for the first two SSL error details quoted above, the two
error-details.txt file entries may look like this:

name: X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_GET_CRL
detail: "%err_name: %ssl_error_descr: %ssl_subject"
descr: "Unable to get certificate CRL"

name: X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_DECRYPT_CERT_SIGNATURE
detail: "%err_name: %ssl_error_descr: %ssl_subject"
descr: "Unable to decrypt certificate's signature"

I am not a translation expert. Is there a better way to make error
details configurable and translatable while still grouping related
details together? Any other suggestions before we start implementing the
above?

Thank you,

Alex.