Re: Purge tool as a portability nightmare

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 12:17:14 +0200

fre 2011-06-03 klockan 12:01 +0200 skrev Kinkie:
> Hi all,
> The purge tool seems to be showing its age; among other things, it
> is a mess to have it build on Windows, and even doing so would be
> kludgy.

What makes it so?

> What are your opinions about refreshing/rewriting it? If so, which of
> its features would it be worth to maintain, and which to abandon?
> for instance, I'm not sure it'd be worth to keep squid.conf file
> parsing, parallel scanning, talking to squid.

Ideally the tool wouldn't even be needed imho.

> It could remain as an ufs cache dump/clear tool, with cache_dir(s)
> passed as command line arguments.

Good idea.

> Opinions?

cache search & dump functionality perhaps should be built-in?

Regarding purging then there is other ideas on that, such as keeping a
timestamped "purge list" which invalidates cache hits from before.
Benefit is that purge operations is instant, not requiring a whole cache
scan. Downside is that we somehow need (should) to keep track of a
timestamp when an cached object last was evaulated against the purge
list for performance reasons.