Re: Purge tool as a portability nightmare

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 05:05:10 +1200

 On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 12:01:43 +0200, Kinkie wrote:
> Hi all,
> The purge tool seems to be showing its age; among other things, it
> is a mess to have it build on Windows, and even doing so would be
> kludgy.
> What are your opinions about refreshing/rewriting it? If so, which of
> its features would it be worth to maintain, and which to abandon?
> for instance, I'm not sure it'd be worth to keep squid.conf file
> parsing, parallel scanning, talking to squid.
>
> It could remain as an ufs cache dump/clear tool, with cache_dir(s)
> passed as command line arguments.
>
> Opinions?

 The roadmap for purge includes:
  * migrating a few of its features internal to Squid for use by
 cachemgr
  * merging other bits with ufsdump and cossdump into a better tool.
  * ?? something else with the leftovers?

 For now it is bundled and built for the people who want it. If you want
 to omit it from windows, fine. We can evaluate (much) later which bits
 actually need porting.

 Amos