Re: HTML analysis and prefetching

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:56:49 -0600

On 06/15/2011 12:29 PM, John Craws wrote:

> Is there a standard, recent way to have squid somehow analyze HTML and
> prefetch (some of) the files that are being linked to?
>
> I've seen the following but wondered if there was anything else as it
> looks rather old.
>
> http://devel.squid-cache.org/projects.html#prefetching
> http://veloso.org/SquidConfig/SquidConfig.html
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/squid-prefetch
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi John,

    I do not think there is anything standard in this area and as your
examples above illustrate, there are many ways to support prefetch.

If you are going to write something from scratch and care about
performance and compactness of the solution, I would recommend extending
eCAP API to send "prefetch requests" from the adapter back to the
hosting application such as Squid.

This way you can have an adapter that focuses on prefetching logic
without bloating Squid code with content analysis.

HTH,

Alex.