Re: hit a serious blocker on windows

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 00:27:47 +1200

On 09/08/11 23:59, Kinkie wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've hit a bit of a problem in mswindows porting: IPC uses Unix
> domain sockets, which are not available on windows.
>
> In order to proceed, I believe that we need the help of Alex to
> understand whether other socket families can be used in his opinion,
> and of Guido to understand what alternatives we may have on Windows to
> send messages around..
>
> Could you guys speak up?
>
> Thanks

I recall learning years ago about a Windows alternative that might be
usable here for passing socket handles. But I fail to remember exactly
what it is.

Everything else SMP uses the channels for can be duplicated with TCP
sockets. Open a TCP socket saving its IP:port details, fork the child,
connect() from child to the parents socket address. AFAICT squid
ipcCreate() already tries to do this when the it is told to use TCP.

Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.10