Re: hit a serious blocker on windows

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 13:10:53 -0600

On 08/09/2011 05:59 AM, Kinkie wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've hit a bit of a problem in mswindows porting: IPC uses Unix
> domain sockets, which are not available on windows.
>
> In order to proceed, I believe that we need the help of Alex to
> understand whether other socket families can be used in his opinion,

Regular sockets cannot be used because they cannot pass file descriptors.

> and of Guido to understand what alternatives we may have on Windows to
> send messages around..

As you know, this was discussed before the SMP code was written. The
thread name is "SMP: inter-process communication". In summary, I am sure
there are Windows-specific APIs that pass/share descriptors, but our
attempts to get details from Guido have failed.

If you do not hear specific suggestions, researching how ACE and Apache
httpd share descriptors on Windows may help. Also see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740478%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Needless to say, we would need to wrap the UDS vs WindowsAPI distinction
in some common layer so that the callers do not have to know the difference.

Thank you,

Alex.