Re: SquidShell is already in progress

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:13:38 +0200

> I don't personally really like save or backup type things unless there is
> binary details unavailable from a simple dump/restore-from-dump. I guess
> what I'm saying is that "save" should be dropped from mention. The "set"
> should _all_ work immediately (caveat when necessary). And "show config",
> like now should dump the entire config out for saving to a file somewhere.

I OTOH like a commit-like interface, where a set of changes is
prepared but then executed atomically.
It'd be nice to have both ways, via some "autocommit" switch in the
shell (which would implicitly save/commit after each command is
validated)

>> I have an idea to use snmp to get statistic information and http to
>> change/put/get existing info
>
> SNMP is read-only at present due to the library we use. We need a major
> library change at some point to do updates or bulk transfers properly, but
> out of scope for a shell project.

A problem lies in _finding_ such a library.. there are a few out
there, but most of them seem abandoned..

> Kinkie, is working on merging cachemgr reports and SNMP reports. So you
> should not need to worry about SNMP even for reads. It will all be provided
> via the same cachemgr actions internally.

Yes.
My wish would be to enable reporting SNMP and CacheMgr using the same
internal interfaces.

>  So far all actions are at the global scope. But since components might be
> disabled or simply missing from the build I think we need to consider
> something like BusyBox shell does. With a "use" command to move 'into' a
> component scope and the get/set/show commands become limited or expanded to
> ones available only in that component.

I find JunOS' cli interface extremely powerful.

> I'm hoping we can add this scoping to the cachemgr web interface as well via
> a menu system. Still thinking through the consequences and design there
> though. The actions would be using the '/' path syntax of URLs for that. ie
> action "icap/config" to just show the icap specific configuration object
> dump.

+1

--
    /kinkie