Re: /bzr/squid3/trunk/ r11783: Fixed typos in the host_verify_strict description.

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:11:35 -0600

On 10/10/2011 04:29 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 08:39:00 -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> revno: 11783
>> committer: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
>> branch nick: trunk
>> timestamp: Mon 2011-10-10 08:39:00 -0600
>> message:
>> Fixed typos in the host_verify_strict description.
>>
>> Frankly, the description is likely to still make little sense to
>> uninitiated because we do not explain what is "Host vs IP validation"
>> and what the "additional strict validation comparisons" are. There was
>> an attempt to explain the latter, but I think it failed. Perhaps there
>> are more typos that hide the intended meaning?
>> modified:
>> src/cf.data.pre
>
> How about:
>
> "
> By default on intercept and tproxy traffic Squid verifies that the

What about 'off' setting? It is the default, but it is not exactly the
opposite of 'on' in this case. Perhaps we should rephrase for clarity.

  Regardless of this option setting, when dealing with intercept and
  tproxy traffic, Squid always verifies [your paragraph below].

  By default, and when set to 'off', no additional checks are performed.

> destination IP address matches the Host: header domain or IP (called
> 'authority form URL'). The client will be presented with a 409 Conflict
> error page and Squid logs a security warning if they do not match.

This part looks good to me. I would s/if they do not match/if there is
no match/ because there were a few things "they" can potentially refer
to, but this is very minor.

> When set to ON, this option enables additional strict comparisons on
> forward-proxy and reverse-proxy traffic passing through Squid.

It is not clear to me whether setting this option to ON enables
"additional comparisons", "comparisons on forward-proxy and
reverse-proxy traffic", or both. I do not know whether the description
below matches code, but it could be clarified like this:

  When set to 'on', Squid will also verify forward-proxy and
  reverse-proxy traffic. In addition to checking all traffic types,
  Squid will also perform more checks. These extra tests involve ...

Again, I am not saying that the above is what Squid does. I am just
providing one possible interpretation of the current text.

> These additional tests involve textual domain comparisons to
> ensure that the client sends a consistent Host header for the
> destination server mentioned in the URL.

Is there any way we can be more specific here than "consistent Host
header"? If I am getting a "409 Conflict error page" with
host_verify_strict on, this description will not help me to understand
why. Can we explicitly list the extra or "strict" requirements that we
are trying to enforce here?

Thank you,

Alex.